Saturday, November 06, 2004

Quotes that really just confound me..

still completely numb after getting the first part of a root canal
today. As I drove in to the dentists office, there were 3 or 4 deer
wandering through the parking lot. I tried to get a picture, but they
ran off when I parked.

I've been lurking on Echo for the most part since the election results
came in, but I thought I'd post a few of the things that really just
confuse me. I don't understand the far left side of the aisle
sometimes. Some choice quotes..

In regards to Yasser Arafat..
" I think it's really bad. There is no clear leadership amongst the
Palestinians, and whatever you thought of Arafat, at least he was not an
extremist. Who knows what we'll get now?"

Arafat wasn't an extremist? The guy who has been coordinating suicide
murders the past few years?


In regards to preparing for the future...
"What we need is our own machine. We need funding, we need think-tankery
(if you will), and we need to build our own media (with media stars).

NPR isn't it. Air America is a nice model but it isn't penetrating the
Right, and it's way too small. Pacifica is too small, too radical and not
slick enough.

We need TV. We need the equivalent of a FOX News, but without the lies. And
for that we need money. Lots of money. Sell stock shares. If everyone who
voted Kerry bought one $100 share of stock, that's $5 billion. It's not a
donation it's an investment.

What happened with Gore's TV network?"

We just got through an election where everything in the world for the
most part was against getting Bush reelected. CBS news tried to spring
false memos... they tried to spring missing explosives stories. Air
America was created. A collection of viruently anti-bush documentaries
were made and they talk about needing infrastructure? I don't get it.


"We lost because we weren't prepared. Not because we were wrong. Not because
our values (if you will) are wrong.

The Right has been building their machine for 30-40 years. We've been at it
for 4, (2 really). AND WE ALMOST WON ANYWAY!"


you weren't prepared. You weren't PREPARED? I remember the
handwringing that happened after Bush lost in 92 and Clinton won
reelection in 96. We didn't have our ducks in a row then, but if it
also hadn't been for Perot, we might have had a chance. But to blame
not being prepared is folly. For better or worse, there's a war going
on. Presidents are generally reelected in war time, this was no
exception. In addition, there were a lot of people that didn't like
the idea of the Supreme Court going a certain direction for 30 years,
giving some of our sovereignty away by joining the world court and
furthur institutionalising more and more of society into the
government. I agree that there's a lot I don't agree with Bush on, but
I didn't vote for him just because he was a Christian, and I don't
think most other people did either.



"perhaps the left should follow karl rove's model for real and start
making calls to the entire country asking if they know jenna bush is
marrying mary cheney and they are having a black baby."


all of the calls I got from the Republican GOTV last weekend were more
about just getting TO the polls than they were about any issue in
particular.


anyway. it goes on and on. Maybe things will calm down, but I don't
think so. In the mean time, I'll continue to lurk.

-Brian

No comments: