Friday, January 01, 2010

Day one of a new year

Movies watched: 0
Food consumed: couple pieces of leftover christmas chocolate
Current weight: 263
Current state of mind: for the moment it's pretty clear

Settling in to a new year has always been sort of cathartic. While I don't necessarily believe change will happen, it's nice to think that it COULD happen. 2009, while not the greatest year I've ever lived turned out to be pretty darn good. We successfully moved, we made quite a few new friends, I managed to stay self-employed for an entire year (no small feat) and we finally started to learn how to save money (mint.com turned into one of the year's best finds).

Not everything was positive. Disappointing to me was that I didn't get back to cycling. I tried riding on a couple of different occasions and ran into issues. A couple of times this year I aggravated a bunion or did something that had me hobbling around on crutches for a couple months at a time. Just as my foot would seem to be getting better, I'd step on it the wrong way again and be right back to square one. I'm still not sure what caused it... I know, I know... get thee to a podiatrist! Well, now that we're finally established and surviving in Austin, that's probably a good possibility, but it wasn't at the time. Like I mentioned, I'm not sure what caused it but I think at least one of the contributors was putting my feet into my cycling shoes. It took so long to recover after each injury that any momentum I could build up would dissipate. Things have been good for the last few months so I'm hoping that I'll be able to start doing some limited testing.

As I start to do that testing, I'm going to try and make it a point to take note of any progress or setbacks here so that I can go back and do some tracking over the course of 2010. I also dealt with some depression during 2009. I'm sure there were a lot of contributing factors amongst those being money stress at the beginning of the year as we were settling in, working at home all of the time and thus not getting out of the house sometimes for days at a time, seasonal affective disorder and the lack of physical activity. It' s something I need to deal with and that's another one of the things I'll hopefully be sorting through on this blog over the next year... along with the list of every movie we watch. Another one of those things I'd like to be able to go back and track.

Ang and I are off to see Where the Wild Things Are at the dollar theater. I leave you with this. One of my favorite bands with their take on New Years Day.


No comments: