Thursday, March 31, 2005

Joan of Arcadia on the bubble?

I admit it, I'm a sap for teenage dramas. In the mid nineties I was one of the only kids faithfully tuning into My So Called Life every week. I think I related quite a bit to Brian, the geeky photographer neighbor of Angela Chase, Claire Danes character. I got interested in the show because as opposed to Beverly Hills 90210 it was more than simulacrum... it tried to be a fairly real drama. I was a bit sad when the show got cancelled in mid-run.

Last year, I watched with interest as Joan of Arcadia came on the air. The early reviews I read seemed to think that it was a worthwhile show and Ang and I tuned in to see what the fuss was about. We dug it immensely.

I've blogged quite a bit about Joan, most recently in this Oddcoupling. I think it's captivating TV (though I've wanted to smack Joan's boyfriend Adam recently for being so pretntious and obnoxious about his graphic design) and it bums me out that there's a good chance it could get cancelled after this season. It's been on hiatus for March Madness, but starting tomorrow night and for the next three Fridays after that there will be four new episodes. There's a box set of the first season coming out in the first part of May and maybe that will give it a boost, but it's engaging spiritually relevant (MAN I HATE THAT WORD) drama that asks as many questions as it offers answers. I wouldn't be nearly as supportive of the show if it were trying to pass itself off as "Christian Programming". I have a broadcast background.. the company I work for used to operate a major television station in the upper midwest. At one point in their existence they tried to do 'Christian TV" and found that not even Christians watch Christian TV. Christians talk about how much they want to watch Christian TV but at the end of the day their viewing habits tend to be like everyone else. Joan is a well written teen-angst drama on top of its spiritual connotations. Give it a shot if you haven't seen it or haven't watched in a while... and maybe we can get the ratings up and allow it to continue to build an audience.

2 comments:

White Salamander said...

My wife watches and likes Joan of Arcadia. She'll be ticked when she finds out that it might be cancelled.

And yes her boyfriend is obnoxious and super pretentious about his design in ways only other designers can understand. He is in desperate need of a backhand.

Comm's said...

"Hi, my blogging name is Commodore and I watch teenage dramas."

"Hi Commodore, keep coming back..It works"

I used to watch Popular, Sabrina, What I like about you, Charmed, couple of others, still watch them except the first two that went off the air a few years ago.

Something about them...