Monday, April 10, 2006

ah, it's longer, but I can definitely say that it's nicer riding to work in the morning now. The trail I take down is the same trail I use to take up but it's much different terrain on the way up. Heading up towards Monument, CO you basically enter a big giant field. Everything seems to stop because there really isn't anything around. Even if you're moving quickly you feel like you're not moving at all. In contrast, heading south through the airforce academy it's mostly wooded.

anyway, it was a pretty quiet ride downtown today. It was already in the low seventies when I left the door and it continued to rise a little over the 45 minutes it took.

About 2/3 of the way down I saw a cyclist in a blue jersey ahead of me and chased what I thought was a woman down (they had long hair) Anyway, I sped up and caught them and hustled by. I ran out of a little juice and what turned out to be a guy caught me and the race was on. I hung on his wheel for a mile waiting for a time to break. FInding my spot I shot ahead and kept checking back to make sure I was still ahead. I let him catch me on a little hill where the path splits mostly because I was lazy and didn't want to charge up it. He took one side of the path on the other side of the creek, I took the other side. We caught up again as we were both exiting into downtown. At a stoplight we finally got a chance to talk.

I guess when I shot past him he wasn't sure that he was going to be able to keep up. I wasn't sure that 'I' was going to be able to keep up when he shot past me. It was kind of nice to know that we pushed each other to have a better workout even though we didn't say a word most of the ride. 

Now, a little office cleaning before I dive in. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there's a dinner ride tonight. If there isn't, Ang and I are planning to ride anyway, but it would be nice to ride with the club.

1 comment:

:) said...

Nice little impromptu race!!! Nothing like a sprint to get the blood flowing, huh?