Tuesday, October 15, 2002

Oops. almost forgot. Zen-like moment of the day? The swimming pool was mostly devoted to a women's water aerobics class. It was kind of frightening to see these very large but fairly graceful senior citizen ladies soaring through the water to my right as I swam up and down the pool. There's a certain grace to hearing so much less in the water. I think if there's anything I was surprised about during the Ironman, it was how quiet the swim became after the start. I mean, it wasn't silent, but it wasn't the flurry of noise I thought it would be once people spread out. I could hear music every so often when I came up to site, but it was mostly an hour and fifty-eight minutes of gurgling water sounds.

Maybe the swim would have been different if I had been able to look to my side and see the graceful senior citizens launching through the water. Ballerinas of the mind in their own aquatic play. eloquent underwater, yet so much less so when you come up for air and hear them sweatin' to the oldies aerobics beat style. Lord let me stay underwater!

No comments: