Thursday, June 17, 2004

Posts from the notebooks part 2

I remember writing this next post on my way back to Minnesota last
June. Angela and I had a couples shower before we left the next
morning for Cornerstone. I was stuck on an airplane.

Stuck in Row 6, Seat C he poured himself into the Bruce Cockburn song
he was listening to about the end of the world. Next to him, a thin
scandinavian woman from Minneapolis sat pensively reading on of the
three hundred sixty two Left Behind novels. If this were the last
night of the world, what would I do? What would I do that was
different? The words resonated and he realized that he'd be doing
exactly what he's doing now, flying across the country to see his
fiance, making a connection whole again that's been broken by
geography.

He looked to his left and saw a marker scrawled bookmark of Jesus next
to the woman's book. Is believing in the end of things during your
lifetime a narcissistic belief? "I'm so important that I'm not going
to die a man alone in the relentless march of time! No, I'm going to
go out with a bang with everyone else so that when we're done, the
party's over."

No, he didn't think that way, and didn't care much for Left Behind,
though he remembered a time in his life when he was. "Life", he
though,"is too short to worry about the end of it.

No comments: