Thursday, September 09, 2004

News from Florida...

Hiya. We just got internet access at the house. It's been three days of
absoulte grunt work cutting down trees (Banana, Mango and Grapefruit)
hacking apart aluminum Lanais frame(s) and living in powerless, hot, muggy
southeastern swampy Florida. There's been a strictly police enforced 8:00
curfew so we've been heading to bed early and getting up with the sunrise.

Today, about noon, the power came on. A couple hours later, we got cable
(and internet!) It looks (we didn't turn anything on) like the production
equipment is alright, but the church we had everything in is just trashed.
It looks like the roof was a sardine can, just peeled up, rolled and
thrown off the roof into the parking lot. Once we walked in you could just
smell all the mold that's quickly popped up into the dank shredded
interior.

We're finishing some minor cleanup and then wrapping up. We leave
tomorrow. I'm surprised at how much stuff is still here, Almost every other
house in the area survived intact, the boss' house seems to have taken the
brunt. There's no real good reason, I guess. Anyway, that's the scoop. I'm
anxious to get home, though I look forward to showing up when I'm not
entering a state of emergency area. Everyone we've met is just completely
shellshocked with the thought that Ivan might swing in.

I can hear Larry (the boss) calling everyone off to go grab dinner (and
beer!) so I should run, but I'll have more later.

No comments: