Friday, April 08, 2005

The Return of the Workout Disc

Milky-Just the Way You Are

On my ride downtown yesterday I slipped a CD into the CD player marked Another Reception Disk a disk I made almost 2 years ago now preparing for Ang and my wedding reception. I remembered most of the things I had put on there, but as I was listening I stumbled on a track that I didn't recognize.

One of the good and bad things about my iTunes library is that it's so large there are songs that will bubble up from the ether and disappear almost as quickly. It's fun because I'm able to be surprised by something every now and again, but when a song isn't labeled properly in your catalogue and you go back to find it, it can be nigh on impossible to discover which of the 16373 songs it is.

Anyway, the song that came over my headphones had a nice casual yet sort of driving beat and a female singer singing do doo doooo do do do do dooo. do doo doooo do do do do do... and when she began regular singing some kind of a middle eastern/european accent I couldn't peg. It wasn't just the voice though, with the sound turned all the way up and my focus on the music and the trail in front of me, the words were therapeutic...

The way you walk
The way you understand me
The way you move
The way you just whisper me
The way you touch
The way you used to kiss me
I want you just
Just the way you are


I hear that from Anguite often... most of the time it's when I'm complaining about my belly. In my head I'm often svelte and athletic and the mirror doesn't reflect it. I hear her words and they DO mean something, but sometimes they don't sink in. Absorbed in the ride with the music absorbing the rest of my attention in a more visceral way these lyrics seemed to seep in a bit more, at least for the moment. My mind was on Angela anyway since I'd put in a 'reception disk'. I'm lucky to have an encouraging wife in these pursuits... now if I can get her onto a bike. :-) I do have to say though that she seems to be looking forward to the Col Springs Bike Club Monday Night Dinner Ride (that's a mouthful), though I'm nto sure which bike she'll end up riding. Probably the Mtn just because it's more of her size.

Anyway, here's the song. After digging for about twenty minutes in iTunes this evening, and then googling the album it was on (it was labeled 'track 7') I discovered that it's a song by an Italian DJ team called Milky and featured an Egyptian/German singer named Sabrina Elahl. Give it a listen, I think you'll like it almost as much as I did.

No comments: