Friday, June 10, 2005

of Red Canyons and Century Rides...

Tomorrow will be my first century of the season, and my first century here in these highlands. As of a week ago, I've been here two years now and I'm not entirely surprised that it's taken two years to get back to the distance.

I had the opportunity to do the Elephant Rock century last weekend, but with 7000+ mostly non-riders riding and pissing off drivers on roads I ride all the time anyway, why pay for the opportunity?

In contrast, Red Canyon is in it's second year and exponentially smaller. It's also in an area that I've never actually done any riding in, the area around the Royal Gorge in Canon City. I've only even been to the area once (to go Whitewater Rafting down the Arkansas River) so it'll be pretty virgin territory.

I guess the first 12-14 miles are a 2000' elevation climb into Red Canyon, then an equal level of descending down to Pueblo through Florence and Wetmore, CO.

I still need to put a mix disc together for the 50 something mile drive out to Canon City... something to charge Russell and I up at 5 in the morning.

Oh, and the swag is pretty good, since it starts at a winery, aside from the T-shirt and the waterbottle (and rest area food) for the $30 registration fee, there's a poker chip included for your first glass of wine. Not bad at all... I think I might have to do this century more than once.

No comments: