Sunday, June 05, 2005

Suck!

So I'm getting ready to head to bed and decide just for the heck of it to check out the Twin Cities Bike Club website (the club I used to ride with to check for any updates on the Paul Bunyan Double Century I was planning on doing. I dug up the June Calendar and saw this...

18 SAT THE 39TH ANNUAL PAUL BUNYAN DOUBLE CENTURY. AA 202 miles.***CANCELLED*** With much regret we are forced to cancel this event for 2005 due to insurmountable amounts of road construction that affect over half of the ride route. The 2006 PBDC will be back and rolling over silky smooth new asphalt and wider shoulders on those sections that were in dire need of improvement. Looking forward to '06! Bob Hoffman,


So, the double century is out. There IS a metric double, but c'mon people! Riding 124 miles is JUST NOT THE SAME! Ugh. As much as I wasn't especially looking forward to driving all the way up to Minneapolis (we have another trip the same distance two weeks later) it would have been nice to get back to the 200 mile distance after I DNFed the last time I attempted it. Blah.

I'd be open for a double here, but part of the great thing about the Paul Bunyan besides 'Superman Syndrome' (TM pending. heh) is that you can just hammer on it because it's almost completely flat. It's not unusal to do a negative split on the second century.

Anyway, of to bed, but maybe I'll spend a minute looking for a southwestern double.

No comments: