Friday, August 19, 2005

blah

No riding this morning, I was too beat up after yesterday evening's ride. I never know who's going to show up for the Thursday night ride I lead for the bike club. Often-times, due to the horrid weather I've seemingly had every Thursday night this season, it's no one. Yesterday I had someone who said they were going to be coming so I made sure I was there right away.

The person who said they were going to come didn't show, but I still had someone show up. He told me he was new to the club and had only been riding for a couple of years. Never estimate a cyclists ability from what they tell you.

On our way out of the parking lot he told me that last year he did his first century and this year he'd done four. OK, I'm starting to reevaluate my estimations. He then tells me that he's not very good at climbing. I tell him I'm not much of a climber either and I back the conversation up to ask which centuries he's done this season. He, of course, mentions that he did Triple Bypass.

HELLO!? You're not a climber and you finished Triple Bypass? It was then that I noticed that the non climber had started to break away off into the distance as we started the first five mile climb up a pretty sweet finished but not open road extension that will eventually let Ang and I hop over to the southeastern side of the city quite a bit easier.

Now, I realize that I was already tired from the first two rides of the day and he was riding on completely fresh but warmed up legs, but I was getting dropped hard. To make matters worse, the route that I plotted out turned out to be maybe the hilliest route I've ridden on this side of town. Way more than half of our ride was climbing and with available light, we put in around 16 miles. 16miles in an hour, with 10+ miles of it climbing... and climbing isn't little hills, I think we started out around 6000', climbed to 7300 or so and then started undulating.

At points I felt like my quadriceps would burst from my legs. So, no riding for me this morning. But, Ang mentioned on her way home from school that she saw a tent outside movie trading company. Tents outside my favorite store are not a good thing (for my pocketbook at least) so we'll ride down for dinner tonight.

I ran across the street to buy one of those $2.50 subway daily sandwich deals and between leaving the store, crossing the freeway and turning back up the road to my office, gas went from 2.59 to 2.61. DEAR LORD. UGH. There is no more motivation to ride than that.

3 comments:

:) said...

Sounds like a fun little ride...wish I could have been there!

Nancy Toby said...

I wish I could have seen those quadriceps burst from your legs! ;-) Seriously, sounds like a great ride!

Comm's said...

Its nice to finally met someone who is under esteemed instead of egotistic about their ability.