Thursday, August 18, 2005

day two

I opened up dashboard this morning to start this post and hit play on the iTunes widget. While noticing that there were 443 days until Ironman Florida iTunes started playing BNL's Falling For the First Time. I thought they were appropriate this morning.

Barenaked Ladies Falling for the First Time

I'm so cool, too bad I'm a loser
I'm so smart, too bad I can't get anything figured out
I'm so brave, too bad I'm a baby
I'm so fly, that's probably why it
Feels just like I'm falling for the first time

I'm so green, it's really amazing
I'm so clean, too bad I can't get all the dirt off of me.
I'm so sane, it's driving me crazy
It's so strange, I can't believe it
Feels just like I'm falling for the first time

Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost
Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost
What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time?
What if I nursed this infection? Maybe the worst is behind
It feels just like I'm falling for the first time
It feels just like I'm falling for the first time

I'm so chill, no wonder it's freezing
I'm so still, I just can't keep my fingers out of anything
I'm so thrilled to finally be failing
I'm so done, turn me over cause it
Feels just like I'm falling for the first time

Anything plain can be lovely, anything loved can be lost
Maybe I lost my direction, what if our love is the cost?
Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost
Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost
What if I lost my direction? What if I lost sense of time?
What if I nursed this infection? Maybe the worst is behind


With stoplights it was a 38 minute ride into the office this morning. I don't know if it can be cut down to a half hour, but we'll see. Ang continues to be the one lighting the fire. As she was getting ready this morning, she stood over the bed and asked if I was going to ride. When I groggily said that I thought I would be she said "Good! Otherwise you won't get your three days in!", and walked out of the room. I love my wife.

Gas across the street is up to $2.51 at the Safeway and $2.59 next door at the truck stop. I think Safeway uses fuel as a loss leader to get people to come to the store because that 2.51 is actually 2.48 with your safeway card. In any case, it just makes me more interested in working at this commuting thing.

I think the hardest part of the commute is just how boring and open it is. Ang's route heads right into the developed area so she has stuff to look at. I follow the freeway through a big open plain. There's development once I get into Monument proper, but even that isn't all that much. Things seem to go faster if there are things near you so that they look like they're moving quickly. Try it out some time... it's truly, I think, psychologically more demanding to keep up a higher pace when you don't have anything but grass around you. Add to that that you're slowly climbing and it just makes it hard to get excited about the ride some mornings.

The ride home is different. Heading downhill, it takes just barely 25 minutes with traffic lights.

In any case, I'm here at work stuck working on some CSS issues. If you're a CSS person, e-mail me. Maybe I can pick your brain.

3 comments:

Comm's said...

glad your getting your rides. Ang is just paying you back for all the mornings she felt guilty for you getting up early and I bet she is loving it.

BTW, what the heck is CSS?

Anonymous said...

Learn about satellite dishes, programming, installation, and multi-room systems at

href="http://www.openmainframe.com">Directv Decatur AL
. Select the best Directv Decatur AL Satellite TV

System for your needs.

:) said...

Seems like turning off the anonymous thing doesn't work so well these days...

Nice job on the ride in. I like the wide open spaces better for riding for some reason...