Monday, January 07, 2008

Day 12

Good morning, everyone!

(picturing myself as some 'sound of music'-esque teacher happily waking up/engaging my underlings)

234 this morning. I meant to blog last night after I got an e-mail comment that I really want to respond to here on the blog, but I got tired and went to bed early after doing some reading. Just know, concerned reader, that your comment will be written about and that I do take it seriously. I was a bit annoyed with you at first, but after some time thinking about it and rereading your comment a couple hours later, I felt differently. One should probably not read comments via your cell phone browser in a quick minute between things at your Sunday night small group. Your author stands corrected. 

Picked up a copy of The Message on my way home from work yesterday night. I admit that while I love having the bible illuminated by quite a few people that I respect, and whom I've learned many things from, I find it hard to dig into the bible on my own. It's just not something I've ever been able to dig up a lot of interest in. So, I'm thinking that carrying around this copy of The Message with me will help with that. I was reading the psalms last night (admittedly the one thing in The Message that I don't think translates very well is the book of Psalm)

Anyway, I thought Psalm 1 was interesting, 'message-ized'


Psalm 1


1How well God must like you— you don't hang out at Sin Saloon, you don't slink along Dead-End Road,
you don't go to Smart-Mouth College.

2-3 Instead you thrill to God's Word,
you chew on Scripture day and night.
You're a tree replanted in Eden,
bearing fresh fruit every month,
Never dropping a leaf,
always in blossom.

4-5 You're not at all like the wicked,
who are mere windblown dust—
Without defense in court,
unfit company for innocent people.

6 God charts the road you take.
The road they take is Skid Row.

More later. But dear reader, again, before I respond to you in more detail, I AM trying to dig in. I am encouraged by your words, and I'm NOT shirking that aspect of the fast by watching movies. If you knew me better, you'd know that my wife and I have a great passion for movies. We're looking to relocate to Austin, partially so that we can be closer to a more vibrant film community. We're still in the early stages of trying to make our own movies. We know people that are more passionate than we are about all of these things, but we've met very few people here in Colorado Springs that are bigger movie geeks than we are. 

Furthermore, there were several illuminating things in the movies we saw on Saturday. Things that make me look at God and say "thank you". One of the films we saw was even, technically, a 'Christian Film'. 

Like I said, I want to spend more time going into your comments, but I wanted to let you know that after some thought, I'm not offended. I'd just like to address things more clearly. 

More later. 

Brian

No comments: