Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Foot Shoveling

I've developed a new exercise, maybe even a new sport. It's called 'Foot Shoveling'. With the way our buildings are set up, the staff is spread all over the place. My department seems to have taken that to a new level. The building we're in used to be part of a car dealership. There were two rooms set up for the sales guys to hang out in while they were waiting for people to come on the lot. These rooms only connect to other parts of the building by going through other rooms to get to the hallways. These other rooms, being big meeting areas aren't really used much during the week mean that, for the most part, we're completely disconnected from the everyone. Some days I really only see the one other person that works back here.

Because of those circumstances, we get neglected. While they hang wreaths from all of the doors throughout the buildings during Christmas, we're ignored. When trash needs to get picked up, we get ignored. When snow falls...? You get the idea.

Waiting for a DVD to burn this morning, I decided that I'd shovel the steps. I couldn't find anything in my office to use as a shovel so I thought I'd use my feet. Surprisingly, it worked fairly well. I wasn't able to get EVERYTHING off, but enough of it's gone that we won't end up with the ice steps we developed in the last snow storm...

Will 'Foot Shoveling' ever make it to the olympics? I don't know that it will. But I would encourage it. It wasn't the greatest workout, but the shuffling back and forth to try and scrape up snow with the side of my shoe actually got my blood moving just a LITTLE bit... and now I've accomplished one of my small tasks for the day.

back to the grind.

No comments: