Wednesday, June 29, 2005

and so it begins...

I'm currently sitting in a trailer, wired into a router that's hooked up to an antenna that's beaming me internet access from a node several miles away. My cellphone is in my pocket and working. I shouldn't have these amenities in the middle of a cornfield in Western Illinois, yet here I am covering this festival for the 11th time.

It's HOT. I mean, peel your skin off and sit around in just your bones hot. By the end of the fest, people will fall prostrate throughout the festival, not out of reverence, but sheer heat exhaustion. When they do, people will carefully step over them and maybe wish them good will. It happens every year... some people call it the "Cornerstone Burn". Each year, people swear that they're not going to succumb to it, but it's seeps in slowly.

All systems are go. My camera is here and working... the computer is up and running... internet access is up and running. We're ready for some coverage! Stay tuned for more blogging and photos throughout the next few days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad to see you made great time. enjoy the heat/ music

Dave King said...

this is a great serries of posts, but you don't seem to have an archive index published anywhere. I'd love to link to the entire set.

- Peace
Dave