Saturday, April 16, 2005

A long day ahead...

While Rett is busy having a 'bachelorhood triathlon of debauchery tomorrow, and Kahuna is busy tapering with one last brick, I'll be heading out on my noble steed to once again challenge Gold Camp Road. Depending, we might even climb Cheyenne Blvd... unoffically known as Carmichael Hill because Chris Carmichael lives at the top of it and likes to use it as a fitness test. Rumor has it that he watches people climb it and if they climb magnificently he can pull strings for them. I guess a town has to have its stories.

At the very least we'll probably ride through downtown past Carmichale Training Systems offices. I know where they are only because they put up a big "Congratulations Lance!" sign last year after Le Tour.

If all goes well, we'll do somewhere between 60 and 100 miles tomorrow starting from the apartment on the north side of town and heading south performing a big loop of the city. Inevitably our eyes and dreams will be bigger than our stomachs and legs, but a guy has to dream big in order to acheive the mediocre sometimes.

Hugh asked me tonight why I got into triathlon and I don't think I gave him a very good answer. I talked to him about how I had gotten into doing centuries and double centuries and Ironman Wisconsin came up as an opportunity to do another century. Technically that's true, but the real story would be that I hadn't ever been very good at anything else and I got into distance stuff because even if I couldn't go fast, I could go far. It was a way to stand out from the crowd in some small way... to achieve something bigger than yourself. Hugh, if you read this... that's the right answer.

I'm off to bed, but I'm sure there'll be lots more blogging before the weekend is out.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow - that's amazing distance, 60 - 100 miles. Holy cow. One of these days I'll get there.

Well said about how you got into triathlons. I think that what you said is a little true for everyone. I'm finding that for all the suffering out there, I'm usually better in the long run :)

soccerdad said...

yeah i agree with your reasons for getting into triathlons also. i've found that running long distances isn't as hard as it sounds, but running fast is much harder than it sounds.
i hope your ride went well!