Thursday, December 27, 2007

pre Day 1

In my lead up to this 40 day fast (something I've never done before, believe me), I've been weaning myself off of food. Over the past few days I've been down to one meal and some little snacks. I think the thing that surprised me the most was that it was harder for me to sleep on an empty stomach. I'm not sure why. I really hope that that goes away as my digestive system begins to shut down.

I'm still trying to straighten out exactly why I'm embarking on a 40 day fast. Some of it is peer pressure. I'm part of a mens group called Real Men of Genius, and the idea originally came from the facilitator of that. He's embarking December 31st. There are a couple of other guys starting on the 1st. I"m starting today, mostly because I want to be done before my birthday in February.

I've also been contemplating the fast because it continues a trend over the past year of 'dealing with my crap'. I know turning 30 isn't a life changing event, but I've used it as a fulcrum. I'd really like for 30 to be a turning point and to be able to put the first thirty years on the shelf. "Oh. That was OLD flabbyironman. He's not around anymore.". The fast is an integral part of the physical and spiritual part of that.

I read these articles about detoxification on the web and I don't completely believe them. I think some of the alternative health people are nutters, but if there are other reasons for doing this fast, I might as well put what they have to say to the test as well. Will evil and noxious things pour out of my skin? I doubt it. But, who knows, we'll find out.

Finally, I mentioned the fulcrum before. But I'm hoping that by going on this fast, I'll be able to reset my life nutritionally as well. I'll have had forty days to get away from soda and greasy fast food, and I'll have an opportunity to relearn how to eat in a healthier way. Hopefully allowing me to keep off most of whatever weight I slough off over the next 40 days.

There are other reasons, but I think those are the predominant ones. I guess we'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Comm's said...

I have done many fasts in my past. The longest being 21 days of water only. I followed Paul Braggs book Miracle of Fasting. I also did many years of one day fasts, usually Mondays.

You're not saying if you are on a full, water only fast or if your taking apple juice or some other liquid nourishment.

I highly recommend you see a doctor first, to get a blood test and then get another half way through to make sure your not doing damage to yourself. I can understand the pressure in your church to do a 40 day fast but honestly I personally don't recommend it. There are other reasons for you poor nutrition and eating habits than just the food you put in your mouth. A fast, excluding the prayer, mediative and biblical aspects, just stops the final sum, it doesn't address the reason for the sum being so high.

You will probably have a headache for the first week or so. Its the caffeine and sugar withdrawals. They will go away but they hurt. I found my energy levels were actually very good during my fasts, not the usual drops in the afternoon or during meeting.