Friday, January 04, 2008

Day 9 - An Evening Prayer

I was going to post this last night. This is what was on my iPod as I walked back to the apartment from the workout room. It's a song that I stumbled on via my friend Jeff Holland. He had had a link to Andrew Osenga's  page a few months ago where I stumbled on this album. 

It's from a six song acoustic EP created with ideas from his fans... a scrap of lyric, a song title, etc... anyway, the last song on the disc has really spoken to me the last few months. It's been the first song in a LONG time that I've sometimes listened to on repeat for a while, just thinking about it. I hope I haven't hyped it up too much. It's called Swing Wide the Glimmering Gates

here are the lyrics...

I caught myself
Looking in the mirror
Wishing I was someone else
Cause I was born
With a bleeding heart
And veins of loneliness

And I know it, I’ve seen it,
I’ve held it in my arms
But love can’t seem to break me down

And I’ve pleaded, I’ve begged
And I’ve bloodied my eyes
Just to feel it
To believe it will stick around

Swing wide the glimmering gates

I told myself
The habits and secrets
Were just to get me through
To get me through the nights
But I got lost
In a world of angles
In a city of greys and lies

And I feel it, I taste it
This longing to be free
Oh, the joy of believing like a child

So you, you there listening
Will you send up a prayer
For me
To help me find the light

Swing wide the glimmering gates
Leave your pride and pain
Swing wide the glimmering gates
And be innocent again

One day I believe
I will open up my eyes
To see the good work that was begun
And I’ll be the only thing I’ve ever wanted to be
And I’ll know that I belong

Swing wide the glimmering gates
Leave your pride and pain
Swing wide the glimmering gates
And be innocent again


heading off to a friends house with Angela to watch Blade Runner in his really cool theater room (the type of theater room I lust after, honestly). WALKED 2.34 miles in 35 minutes for 389.2 calories tonight. I was much better. I was also however more tired before i started, so that probably played into it. See you tomorrow. 

3 comments:

Comm's said...

I so very much want a theater room one day. I even went to a great old theater that was being torn down to get the seats they were giving away. I was too late....

but I ahve the big screen now.

Unknown said...

I love that song!!!! The best part about the song is that all of the background vocals at the end of the song were submitted by fans. If I wasn't such a chicken, you'd be hearing me in the background!

I'm really hoping he does another album like this, it was such a huge small cost/huge reward project for him and the listener.

Flabbyironman said...

yeah, Comm, I'm in the same boat. Some day I'll have a theater room. In the meantime, we do have a retractable 86" screen and a projector (albeit an widescreen standard def one that's a bit loud).

This setup my friend John has is really nice. The big thing with the high end rooms now is that there are these anamorphic lenses that expand something that's shot in scope (2.35:1) to the same vertical size as a 16:9 film. His has black borders that actually rise to show you the extra screen for the ultra widescreen stuff.

We watched 2001 on it a few months ago and the picture was so big where I was sitting that I couldn't completely see the sides when I was looking at the center. I think he has a 12 or 14' screen. It's pretty cool.

Alas, for the moment, it's just my 16:9 screen. At the same time though, what I have is pretty cool, just not AS cool as it could be. :-)

Don't worry, I'm satisfied. (but a guy can dream)